Friday, March 5, 2010
Want to Play... A Game? 5-5-5
Modern Mom tagged me in the 5-5-5 Meme over at How To Survive Life In The Suburbs. She has a cute and spunky site with lots and lots of giveaways.
So, the idea is that you answer these 5 questions with five answers each, then choose 5 people whom you would like to know better. How fun!
Question 1: Where were you five years ago?
1. Well, I can tell you where I wasn't. I most definitely didn't have a this cooking blog. You see, I wasn't even cooking yet. God flipped the "cooking lightswitch" on September 10, 2006. (Yep, I even know that day..."Cook," He said. "You must have me confused with someone else," I said. "Cook, now," he repeated, ad infinitum. So...I started cooking, and blogging and volunteering and finally working in a professional kitchen on my 6th workday each week.)
2. I had just opened my first gmail account. (I decided that the easiest way to see what I was up to 5 years ago was to check out some of my old e-mails.)
3. I was very busy with swing dancing 3 or so times a week and tap lessons. I was taking my first acting course and would begin acting in local productions that summer.
4. I was gathering supplies to send overseas via AnySoldier.com.
(Even now you can drop by the site and grab an address and wish list of a soldier and directly send supplies to a service person.)
5. I was helping out with a 5K Run with BrightHope.org. Bright Hope International is a wonderful charity that helps the poorest of the poor - those who make less than $1 a day. (Yep, you read that right.) Right now they are sending med packs, tents and other necessities to Haiti. If you want to help, donate even $5 to these amazing folks.
Question 2: What is on your to-do list today?
1. Laundry. (Thrilling, I know.)
2. More laundry. (What can I say, I'm behind.)
3. Making a beef stew or sauerkraut and kielbasa dish for dinner.
4. Stopping at Hobby Lobby to see if they sell decorator tables.
5. Watching another episode of Lost. (I'm watching them from Episode 1 with my sweety.)
Question 3: What five snacks do you enjoy?
2. Nacho doritos with sour cream and chive dip.
5. Baked potato topped with beefaroni, sour cream and cheese. LOL
4: What five places have you lived?
1. A tiny early 1920's studio apartment with a Murphy bed, old black and white 1 inch ceramic floor tiles, and an antique farmhouse-style ceramic sink. It looked very much like this picture.
I only lived there for the summer because:
a) I was staying with a friend.
b) The place had...roaches.
But, considering it was only 4 blocks from Lake Michigan, I spent most of my time after work sitting on a rock staring out at the water, listening to the crashing waves. Loved that place. (Was totally creeped out by the bugs.)
2. Lesse. I also lived in Wisconsin. Rolling green hills. Cows. Tiny airport. Very pretty.
3. I lived in a few tiny studio and 1 bedroom suburban apartments. The kind where the "dining room" closet/pantry had full length mirrors on it - to give the illusion of more space.
4. Dorm room. I actually liked my dorm room a lot. It was always filled with friends and I think it was warm and inviting.
5. In a L.A. Hotel room. Honestly. (No, in a past life I didn't have a heroin habit and a desire to make it big in pictures. I lived in the Hotel Intercontinental for 5 months on business. Yeah, I was slumming it. LOL.)
Question 5: What five things would you do if you were a billionaire?
1. I would travel. I would spends weeks at the beach, in the woods. Europe. Hawaii. Backroads. I would spend a lot more time in the small towns I feature in Feasting on Amercana!.
2. I would look seriously into how I could focus energy on ending hunger in the world. Sound crazy? Experts say it's possible if we simply made it a goal. Makes me think of Kennedy saying we would land on the moon before the end of the decade - when we didn't have the technology. What if we started small and said we would end hunger in the U.S. by 2020?
3. Billion? Hmm. Maybe select a handful of charities that I am familiar with and ask them how they would use a very large donation.
4. Buy a vacation home in the woods and maybe another on the beach. Furnish them in fun retro fabrics and modern appliances with vintage feel.
5. Travel more.
Sorry, I didn't mean to whimp out at the end there. But, charity work and traveling are pretty much how I would spend my time and money.
Choose your 5
Okay, now I'm supposed to pick 5 bloggers to see if they want to play. And, if you want to join the fun, please leave a link in the comments so we can read your answers, too!
1. Lisa @ The Cutting Edge of Ordinary - I love her amazing recipes and beautiful photography.
2. Jules @ Fall To Grace - She's real. Very real. Nuff said.
3. Jennifer @ Hope Studios - Her store is adorable and her writing is thoughtful and witty.
4. Marian @ Miss Mustard Seed - Gosh, her tutorials are extremely informative and her furniture pieces are inspirational.
And, while she's NEVER going to respond...because she has NO IDEA who I am and that I LOVE her blog...and she's busy appearing on, you know, Good Morning America, and things like that...I'll still choose...
5. Ree @ Pioneer Woman because she doesn't take herself too seriously - along with her drool-worthy recipes, romantic writing, and glimpses of her family's life on the ranch.
If you decided to do your own 5-5-5, please link it below.
I'd enjoy learning more about you!
All the best,